Sunday 1 May 2011

My Sensitive Poem

A friend of mine showed me this epic cartoon by Matt Groening and I vowed to use it as inspiration for my own “sensitive poem”. In fact, I’ve combined one of the Beginning Exercises with one of the Advanced Exercises, and I’ve also used a Barn door reference from How I Met Your Mother. Really, I take sensitive poetry to a new level.


Alas!
The hornets buzzing in my brain
Are stinging me with great disdain
For now my roof has started leaking
And I have ever since stopped speaking.
I am a barn, creaking, creaking,
In my great misery shrieking.
Now no one will see
What I once used to be.
The past is just a distant dream
Flowing away like a stream
Attempts at bliss are futile
Solitude is now in style.
I look up at the trees outside –
Those brave things, they don’t need to hide.
I feel the shrinking of my heart.
All by myself, I fall apart.
Everything inside me’s broken
The barn door’s no longer open.

Because YES, I can face disdain, ridicule, and utter indifference! 
(Just saying. Not that I actually want to, even though it would give me more opportunities and inspiration to write about pain, critics, loneliness, futility, blight, depression, etc.)

PS - My very ambitious plan is still under execution.

3 comments: