Sunday 9 April 2017

Sucky Summer Stuff


I may have written essays about summer being my favourite season back in school. This was mostly because "summer" was synonymous with "vacation", but (as I realize now on looking back) also because we had pleasant climate throughout the year.

Who loves summer now, in 2017? Only two kinds of people, in my mind:
1. Those who live in places so cold that summer means two layers of clothing instead of five
2. Crazy people

So here's a poem on some of those "ugh" summer moments.

If somebody had said to me around ten years ago
That we’d need A.C.s in this city, I’d have said “Oh, no,
This place is naturally cool, it’s pleasant as can be.
You must be crazy if you think that you need an A.C."

But alas! Things have changed so fast. The once warm, friendly sun
Now blazes down with great vengeance, and summers are no fun.
It’s too hot in the afternoon, the mornings are too bright,
It’s dry and irritating, and it’s even hot at night!

'There must be some upside to this', you think, 'well, let me try
To stand outside with my wet hair―see how fast it will dry.'
But thirty seconds later you decide to go back in.
You’d rather not turn into a sizzler with crispy skin.

And inside isn’t always better. Maybe cooler, but
Sometimes there’s no breeze, and, oh joy, there IS a power cut.
So yes, at least you have some shade, but it’s not very nice
When all your fans stop working and your fridge can make no ice.

There is a way to cool oneself, you think as it gets hotter.
You step into the shower and― oh no, you’re out of water!
At least you weren’t brushing, pooping, or covered in soap.
(Yes, that can happen, and all you can do is swear and mope.)

But whenever I’m feeling brave enough to step outside,
I look at all the world around me, and I realize
I hate summer, but the thing that makes it REALLY sucky
Is seeing all these other folk who aren’t half as lucky.

2 comments:

  1. Wow !! Loved this post sweety! I remember summers in Bangalore in my childhoood days and I can swear that the summer of '69 .. those were the best days of my life ( due apologies to Bryan Adams ) and today .. as I type .. from 3 deg C in Boston to 33deg c in Bangalore ... for once I am not so glad with this 'warm' welcome !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Yeah, I'm sure they must have been :)
      Ugh, that's an awful temperature shift!

      Delete